Maximize your boatspeed! The jump in boat speed from high school sailing to collegiate sailing is a substantial one. College sailors are able to sail the boats at maximum speed a much higher percentage of the time than high school sailors. They maximize their boat speed by efficiently combining their sail trim, balance, steering and boat handling. Sailing the Collegiate Dinghies Clinic is a three-day clinic intended for high school and college sailors who wish to learn the techniques that will get them to the next level of their game. The clinic emphasizes the level of refinement required to be competitive in college. Instead of spending your whole college freshman year getting up to speed, get started now! Learn collegiate sailing techniques and practice like one of the top college sailing teams in the country. No housing is provided.
All aspects of sailing the Collegiate FJ and 420 will be covered. Specific topics will include straight-line speed, tacking, gybing, and boat handling for starting. Please note, strategies and tactics may be covered in the clinic, however the focus will be on sailing the boats well. Sailing will take place in Harvard's fleet of FJs and 420s.
This clinic is designed for youth sailors who are fairly experienced with racing dinghies either from their scholastic or junior programs and are looking for the next level of refinement to their speed and handling skills. Participants should be able to execute roll gybes and tacks confidently and be looking to push them towards the high level needed to be a successful college racer. Sailors should also be in control and comfortable in conditions in which the boat is overpowered upwind and planes reaching and occasionally downwind.
NOTE: Due to this winter's weather, the Harvard Sailing Center has incurred some damage. Despite this setback, we will still be running our racing clinic as scheduled. Registration is open.
Clinic Status: (pending/will proceed) will proceed
Number of sailors registered: 10
- April 17, Tuesday
- 9:00-9:30 Swim Test at Blodgett Pool
- 9:30-2:30 Clinic at Sailing Center
- April 18, Wednesday
- 9:00-5:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
- April 19, Thursday
- 9:00-2:30 Clinic at Sailing Center
Fee: $225 per sailor. $210 if registered before March 17.
Skippers can register without a crew, although we recommend that skippers come with a crew. If skippers come alone, skippers must be prepared to split their time between crewing and skippering. Crews must come with a skipper.
Space is limited and will be reserved on a first-come first-served basis. A minimum of 10 students is required for the clinic to proceed. The first 20 sailors registered are guaranteed a slot. The clinic may be expanded to a maximum of 36 sailors providing additional coaches are available.
- Must be of high school age. (14+ years)
- Skippers may sign up alone. Although it is highly recommended that you attend with your crew for a more productive clinic.
- Crew must sign up with their skipper.
- Must be able to pass the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test.
Registration - Four Requirements
The sailor must be at least 14 years old.
To reserve a spot, full payment must be made. If paying by credit card, please email us so we can send you a link for payment. If paying by check, make the check payable to Crimson Sailing Academy. Mail all materials toCrimson Sailing Academy
P.O. Box 335
Belmont, MA 02478
The clinic registration form must be completed:
Harvard regulations require that all sailors must demonstrate adequate swimming ability by passing the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test on the first day of the clinic. The test consists of: Jump or dive into deep water. Surface and swim 100 continuous yards using either front crawl or breaststroke while demonstrating rhythmic breathing. Tread water for 2 minutes.
This is a day clinic only. No accommodations are provided. Housing in the Cambridge/Boston area can be expensive. We recommend booking your housing early. The Internet websites are a good source for deals on hotels.
- Registrations cancelled 30 days prior to the clinic start date will receive a refund less a $30 processing fee.
- Registrations cancelled within 30 days of the clinic will not receive a refund.
Drop off / Pickups
- First day: Sailors must first go to the pool for the swim test. An instructor will meet the sailors in the pool lobby. After the test, the sailors must provide their own transportation to the Harvard Sailing Center. Pick up is at 2:30 PM at the Harvard Sailing Center.
- Second & Third day: Sailors should be dropped off at or drive to the Harvard Sailing Center and be picked up at 5:00 PM on Wednesday and 2:30 PM on Thursday at the Harvard Sailing Center.
Bring to Clinic
Please bring the following personal items to make the experience more enjoyable.
- appropriate sailing clothes required (for Spring clinic, wetsuit or drysuit is required)
- a bailer (laundry detergent jug with bottom cut off)
- bathing suit for swim test is required
- a hat
- change of clothes
- a towel
- for the ATR clinic bring notebook and writing implement to take notes
Please bring lunch. Refrigeration is available. Lunchtime is sometime between 12:00 and 2:00 pm.
Valuables may be stored in lockers at the sailing center. You must provide your own padlock.