The Advanced Team Racing Clinic is a three-day clinic designed for the high school, junior sailing or college club team racer who wants to raise his/her game to a higher level. The clinic will cover the fundamental attitude, the overall plan and the fine details of execution required to team race at the highest level. These three elements have been the foundation for success for teams in high school, college and at the international level. The clinic will include classroom, video, and on-the-water sessions. Sailing will take place in Harvard's fleet of FJ dinghies. Come as a skipper, pair or team. A minimum of 6 boats is required for the clinic to proceed. No housing is provided.
This clinic is designed for participants who have team raced before and have a basic understanding of team racing theory and techniques. They should be looking to learn the sophisticated strategies and high level execution required to be successful in collegiate team racing. This is not an introductory clinic.
NOTE: Due to this winter's weather, the Harvard Sailing Center has incurred some damage. Despite this setback, we will still be running our team racing clinic as scheduled. Registration is open.
Skippers can register without a crew, although we recommend that skippers come with a crew. If skippers come alone, skippers must be prepared to split their time between crewing and skippering. Crews must come with a skipper.
Space is limited and will be reserved on a first-come first-served basis. A minimum of 12 sailors (6 boats) is required for the clinic to proceed. The first 18 sailors (9 boats) registered are guaranteed a slot. The clinic may be expanded, to a maximum of 38 sailors providing additional coaches are available.
Clinic Status (pending/will proceed): will proceed : expanded to 26 sailors
Number of Sailors registered: 25
Open spots left: 1
- August 21, Tuesday
- 9:00-9:30 Swim Test at Malkin Pool
- 9:30-4:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
- August 22, Wednesday
- 9:00-4:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
- August 23, Thursday
- 9:00-4:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
Fee: $300 per sailor. $280 if registered before July 21.
- Must be of high school age. (14+ years)
- Skippers may sign up alone. Although it is highly recommended that you attend with your crew for a more productive clinic.
- Crew must sign up with their skipper.
- Must be able to pass the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test.
Registration - Four Requirements
The sailor must be at least 14 years old.
To reserve a spot, full payment must be made. If paying by credit card, please email us so we can send you a link for payment. If paying by check, make the check payable to Crimson Sailing Academy. Mail all materials toCrimson Sailing Academy
P.O. Box 335
Belmont, MA 02478
The clinic registration form must be completed:
Harvard regulations require that all sailors must demonstrate adequate swimming ability by passing the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test on the first day of the clinic. The test consists of: Jump or dive into deep water. Surface and swim 100 continuous yards using either front crawl or breaststroke while demonstrating rhythmic breathing. Tread water for 2 minutes.
This is a day clinic only. No accommodations are provided. Housing in the Cambridge/Boston area can be expensive. We recommend booking your housing early. The Internet websites are a good source for deals on hotels.
- Registrations cancelled 30 days prior to the clinic start date will receive a refund less a $30 processing fee.
- Registrations cancelled within 30 days of the clinic will not receive a refund.
Drop off / Pickups
- First day: Sailors must first go to the pool for the swim test. An instructor will meet the sailors in the pool lobby. After the test, the sailors must provide their own transportation to the Harvard Sailing Center. Pick up is at 4:00 PM at the Harvard Sailing Center.
- Second & Third day: Sailors should be dropped off at or drive to the Harvard Sailing Center and be picked up at 4:00 PM on Wednesday and Thursday at Harvard Sailing Center.
Bring to Clinic
Please bring the following personal items to make the experience more enjoyable.
- appropriate sailing clothes required (for Spring clinic, wetsuit or drysuit is required)
- a bailer (laundry detergent jug with bottom cut off)
- bathing suit for swim test is required
- a hat
- change of clothes
- a towel
- for the ATR clinic bring notebook and writing implement to take notes
Please bring lunch. Refrigeration is available. Lunchtime is sometime between 12:00 and 2:00 pm.
Valuables may be stored in lockers at the sailing center. You must provide your own padlock.